In this bedroom makeover, I have done lots of upcycling & completely changed the look of a couple of bits of furniture. This is one of my favourite things to do & is so cost effective compared to buying new, plus you can get things exactly how you want them to look.
My first project was updating this rather ugly orange pine bedside table that I picked up for free off Gumtree a little while ago.
I then went on to give an Ikea Hemnes chest of drawers that I bought off ebay (I paid £85.00 but it was in a bit of a sorry state with stickers all over it & lots of marks) a bit of a girly makeover.
I would normally use chalk paint for projects like this as it requires no prep, however because I wanted to stick with colours used elsewhere (trying not to give much away!), I decided to go along the slightly more time consuming route of sanding/priming/undercoating/painting.
My first port of call was preparing the furniture which included removing the drawers & handles ready to start. If you don’t have a steady hand or are a bit of a perfectionist then masking tape is needed but I did without.
I then started by lightly sanding the area to be painted. This was my first time painting an Ikea piece & I was worried that paint wouldn’t stick due to the laminate shiny surface, however after a quick sand it was absolutely fine. Sanding gives a rougher surface which gives the paint something to cling on to.
Next was undercoating. I used eggshell wood primer (£12.99 for 1L) from my local Brewers merchant. Eggshell paint is the most durable (check out my ‘paint finishes explained’ post for more info) so recomended for heavy use furniture. This is a primer & an undercoat all in one so avoids having to do one coat of each. This is vital, especially with the pine bedside table as it stops any of that lovely orange colour from grinning through.
Finally it was time for the 3x coats of paint. I have to admit…I did use wall paint which I used in a feature wall as I couldn’t get my hands on any furniture paint in the same pink & didn’t want to pay a fortune for a new tin of F&B acrylic wood paint in the grey. This probably isn’t recommended but only time will tell how it holds up & I’m sure I can touch it up if needed in the future.
For the handles, I gave them a new look with gold spray paint which I’ll be blogging about tomorrow.
I’m SO pleased with how they turned out & it’s given a completely new lease of life to what was some pretty delapidated furniture.
I can’t wait to show you all more through the rest of this week!
Love, Charlotte x